Playing pool (also called billiards) is more than a fun game, it is beneficial to your mind, body, and well-being.
Mental Benefits of Playing Pool
The complexities of pool are certainly a mental workout, which helps your brain stay sharp. Playing pool offers so many mental benefits, including:
- Improved critical thinking: Processing, calculating, and deciding on your next shot requires logic and step-by-step critical thinking skills.
- Increased observation and visualization skills: Due to the infinite possibilities that occur in a game of pool, you must always be prepared for your opponent’s next move by thinking several steps ahead and being prepared with multiple strategies.
- Better understanding of geometry and physics: A game of pool is all about math—each shot is based on angles, spin, and velocity.
- Improved patience: You must remain patient while you opponent takes their turn as well as when you are considering your next play.
- Improved focus: Each shot requires serious attention and the ability to block out any possible distractions.
- Improved memory: Mental exercise keeps brains healthy and sharp.
Physical Benefits of Playing Pool
Low-impact, low risk of injury pool games offer several physical benefits, including:
- Stretching and balancing: Setting up and executing your shot may require you to position your body in ways that are outside your regular range of movement. In a single game of pool you may find yourself stretching across the table, standing on one leg, lunging, squatting, and bending.
- Burning calories: While a game of pool isn’t necessarily strenuous, your constant movement around the table (roughly equivalent to walking a mile) will burn calories.
- Hand-Eye coordination: focusing on small movements and adjustments while constantly adjusting your technique will lead to improved hand-eye
- Improved muscle tone: Continuous walking, stretching, bending, and balancing will tone your leg, back, hip, and arm muscles.
Additional Benefits of Playing Pool
Playing pool can also improve self confidence and is a great way to interact socially with other players. Fun for all ages, pool, unlike many other sports, can be played by anyone— not just the young and physically fit.
Atlanta Spa & Leisure Has the Perfect Pool Table for You!
With all these health benefits it’s easy to see why so many people love to play pool. At Atlanta Spa & Leisure we have dozens of pool tables and great financing offers to make it easier for you, your family, and your friends to enjoy this game in your own home. Come shop our showroom today to find the perfect pool table to suit your needs.